Connect, Educate, Learn, Collaborate...
Connect, Educate, Learn, Collaborate...
Your website is often the first impression you make on your customers. With heavy competition and ever-changing technology, if you don’t have an attractive, functional and impressive web store – you’re losing customers to your competition as quick as a click.
There are many reasons why you should consider a redesign and this article is going to review them. But every one of these items comes down to two things: If you address them, you’ll get more traffic and more conversions.
A truly great eCommerce store removes all doubt and objections from a customer’s mind as they scroll through items and click that “buy” button. Customers already have built-in doubt about a product or hesitation about a price. But great webstores don’t give customers anything else to pause for – the stores look modern, trustworthy, secure and legitimate. Everyone knows there are scams and shady dealers on the internet. You can’t afford to give off the wrong vibe with a poorly designed or outdated website.
If your site has any issue with more than one of these areas, you should strongly consider a redesign:
1. Your site is more than a few years old.
You can assume that anyone shopping online is well acquainted with the internet and will easily recognize an old, outdated site. It simply projects the wrong image. It makes customers think your business isn’t doing well enough to afford a modern website. It might make them question why that is and ultimately decide to go somewhere else. It’s harsh but it’s true. If the old appearance doesn’t bother them from that perspective, it might make them seriously question whether or not your site is secure enough to enter their credit card information. In short, having an older, outdated site only hurts your business. Ask yourself:
• Do you have old features or does your site look outdated? Compare your site to several competitors.
• Can your website handle the traffic it gets?
• Does your website load slowly? Research shows that if a site doesn’t load in about 4 seconds, customers will abandon it.
2. Your site has poor usability.
The best way to tell is to get a professional usability audit. Short of that, have someone you trust review your site or take a look at your analytics and see where customers are leaving. Confusing navigation, slow load speeds or too many steps in your checkout can send visitors elsewhere. Things to consider:
• Do you have too many categories in your drop down menus?
• Does your checkout process take too many steps?
• Are you asking for too much personal information from your customers?
• Is your site mobile-friendly?
3. You can’t update your website yourself.
If you always need to call in an IT guy or some kind of site support to update anything on your site, then it’s time for a redesign. Today’s platforms are user-friendly and give you much more control. As you know, eCommerce sites need updates all the time as products, prices and promotions change. If you can’t control your own site, anytime you please, then you need a new one. Ask yourself:
• How much is it costing you – in time and money to have a third-party update your site?
• How frustrated are you when you can’t make a simple change when you need to?
4. Google Analytics repeatedly shows that you have a high bounce rate or low traffic.
If black and white data is telling you that customers leave almost as soon as they get to your site, something is wrong. If you’re not getting as many customers to your site as you used to, something is wrong. There are many factors behind these numbers but a huge one is your site itself. If your site is older or simply not designed for the majority of your traffic, you’re going to have a high bounce rate. Also, if your site is older, it might not be up to current SEO standards behind the scenes and you’re not getting the traffic you need.
• Has your traffic been declining?
• Is your bounce rate high?
• Is your search ranking low?
• Are you getting a return on your PPC investment?
5. You started off with a pre-made template and it doesn’t meet your needs anymore.
Maybe you’re used to your website but most pre-made templates come with some serious limitations. If you constantly find yourself unable to add the features you want or make the changes you need, then it’s time to get a custom site designed with your business and your customers in mind.
• Is your layout rigid? Can you add in new features?
• Are new, modern features available to you?
• Does your site look pre-made?
If your website meets the criteria for just one of these items, a redesign could be exactly what you need to boost your business.
A great redesign will pay off:
Even if you’re still not convinced that a redesign is right for you, consider a free consultation with ioVista. You know your business better than anyone – but we know eCommerce sites. Why not get a professional’s opinion and find out what a redesign could do for your business?
Call or email ioVista today and schedule a consultation or ask about our usability audits. We’ve been designing and redesigning sites for more than 10 years. If your site is struggling, we can tell you why. Email or give us a call today.
Every week, we share insider tips to building your brand, increasing your traffic and growing your sales online
Sorry. No data so far.