Inner Traditions – Bear & Company, a publishing firm based out in Rochester, Vermont in the United States has been the flag bearer for many best-selling books and authors ranging from new age spiritualism, astrology, alternative medicines and other related genres over the last four decades and more. Started back in 1975 now has 11 imprints and, as of January 2009, more than 1,200 titles in print across a wide and eclectic range of subjects. The company is considered one of the largest and oldest publishing houses in the world devoted exclusively to the subjects of spirituality, esotericism, and alternative health and healing. With a progressive mindset the firm moved onto eCommerce nearly two decades ago.
- eCommerce Consulting
- UI Design
- Magento Development
As time progressed and technology advanced, the site from a technical perspective had become borderline obsolescence. The consequences of archaic technology were plenty; many processes were manually performed which led to inefficiencies that produced a high overhead. Maintaining an accurate inventory system was virtually impossible. Marketing to customers presented a huge challenge. The look and feel was irrelevant by today’s standards.
The primary goal of Inner Tradition’s eCommerce was to re-invent their website by building a technically advanced online destination to better represent their brand’s long lasting goodwill earned over the last four decades and also meet the growing needs of their loyal customers.
Inner Traditions’ desire of transforming their primitive custom commerce system and giving it a complete face-lift included migration of their extremely large set of customer and order data while leveraging their brand with superlative technology and best eCommerce practices. To address all the challenges and issues, ioVista developed and implemented a custom designed responsive Magento site that provided a flexible yet stable and scalable experience for Inner Traditions customers. Some of the actions taken have been highlighted.
- Employed modern and clean UI interfaces and responsive web-template with well-positioned web-content and other collateral.
- Mapping and migration of legacy data including customer and related information, archived orders, catalog of the titles from the ERP system.
- Integration with the existing ERP system for maintaining the sales, transaction and customer records with a two-way synchronization.
- Complete revamping of the catalog structure to achieve a more precise navigation eliminating redundant legacy data.
- Enabling greater accuracy in search of vast records of books and author data with a robust search component.
- Dedicated author showcase section – helping customers to get up close and personal with all of author’s information from their bio, books and testimonials.
- A fully automated system to propagate and send emails for abandoned cart and promotional activities.
The newly launched eCommerce platform delivered a unified experience across the sales channels of Inner Traditions with consistent book titles, centralized stock levels and consolidated customer information. The website has delivered a perfect mix of enhanced book buying and browsing experience which has improved Inner Traditions’ long lasting brand value and by extension an increase in online sales. It was a very effective move that benefits the client moving from Joomla CMS to Magento eCommerce.
“ioVista took our Joomla website and transformed it into a Magento based commerce site. They did a wonderful job designing and executing on our new web initiative with stellar results. We now have a state of the art web site with custom imports and exports linked to our ERP that give us a new and powerful revenue source.”